Information for visiting Wheelchair Users
Barrow itself and the Town Centre is very flat and excellent for wheelchair users. There are large areas of pedestrianised streets and where it is necessary to cross a road dropped kerbs have been installed. The small Market Town of Dalton in Furness also has wide pavements but there is a bit of a hill which can be a challenge. The area is well served by Stagecoach local bus services with low access buses.
Disabled badge holders may park free of charge for up to three hours on any pay and display car park in the Borough.
- The Dock Museum- The museum and site is totally wheelchair accessible
- Furness Abbey - The car park is gravel so it is easier to park close to entrance. You can get into the visitor centre and there is then a ramp out into the Abbey Grounds. However to get closer to the Abbey ruins it is necessary to travel across grass. Obviously ease of access will depend on the ground conditions at the time eg can be a little hard going if wet.
- South Lakes Wild Animal Park- the park is fully wheelchair accessible and all surfaces are tarmaced but does have steep gradients so assistance can be helpful. The zoo prides itself on helping wheelchair users on steep parts.
- Wax Lyrical Colony Gift Corporationis wheelchair accessible
- Barrow Market is wheelchair accessible
- Life Leisure (Barrow) is wheelchair accessible.
- The Forum (our theatre) is wheelchair accessible.
- Barrow Park has many tarmaced paths and it is wheelchair accessible.
- Barrow also has several walking routes which are suitable for wheelchair users namely most of the Channelside Walk, The Walney Greenway and the Westfield Nature Trail. Greenway from Furness Abbey to Roose.
Barrow and District Disability Association are a wonderful resource in the town and very helpful and friendly. Give them a ring on 01229 432599. They will be able to give you advice on wheelchair hire, etc.
Furness Shopmobility are based in Oldham Street Car Park, School Street, Barrow-in-Furness LA14 1EJ.
Tel. 01229 434039 www.shopmobilityuk.orge mail email@example.com are open
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 9.30 am - 4 pm
Closed Thursdays and Sundays