Council Tax Payment Methods
Council Tax - How to pay
Index of information on this page
If you have received a Council Tax bill you will be offered instalments over which to pay it. Each instalment will be due on 1st of the month unless you pay by Direct Debit where the 1st, 16th and 28th of the month is also offered.
It is very important that instalments are paid on time. If they are not you may be subject to recovery action.
Barrow Borough Council offers a variety of payment methods for Council Tax.
On request, you can pay over 12 monthly instalments rather than 10. To arrange this please contact 01229 404242 quoting your account number
Direct Debit is by far the easiest way to pay your Council Tax.
The benefits of Direct Debit are:
- Choice of payment date, 1st, 16th or 28th of the month
- Paid over 10 monthly instalments
- No queues
- No cheques to write
- No postage
- Efficient, meaning lower collection costs and lower Council Tax rises
- No need to remember to pay
- 10 working days notice of any changes
We have the facility to set up your Direct Debit online by clicking here and selecting Council Tax Direct Debit. If you prefer you can print a Council Tax Direct Debit Mandate. Completed Mandates need to be returned to: Barrow Borough Council, Customer Services, Town Hall, Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA14 2LD.
We also have the facility to set up Direct Debits over the phone. Just telephone our Customer Services Centre on 01229 404242 and provide your bank details and Council Tax reference number.
If you choose to pay by Direct Debit you are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
- If there are any changes to the amount, date of frequency of your Direct Debit Barrow Borough Council will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request Barrow Borough Council to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit by Barrow Borough Council or your bank or building society you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society. If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when Barrow Borough Council asks you to
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.
Link to online 24 hours a day online payments service.
The site is safe and secure and payments can be made with most major credit or debit cards.
If you wish to pay by standing order and set up payments direct into our bank account, please provide your bank with the following information:
- Account number: 01159372
- Sort Code: 40-09-14
- Branch: HSBC, 104 Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
- You MUST quote your full Council Tax Account number (shown on your Council Tax bill) on all direct bank payments to allow them to be identified correctly.
Standing order payments must be made on the 1st of the month.
You can pay over the phone. To do this call the Customer Services Centre Operator Assisted Telephone Payments on 01229 876390 or our automated telephone service on 0845 603 1510. Please note if using the 0845 number, calls cost a maximum of 7 pence per minute plus your telephone company's network access charge. Cards accepted are Mastercard, Visa credit/charge cards, Visa debit cards, Switch card.
You can now make payments at any PayPoint outlet, including the Post Office. Your annual bill and any subsequent bills you may receive will have a barcode on the top left hand corner. This barcode will be unique to your Council Tax account. They will scan the barcode on the bill and this will guarantee the payments go to your Council Tax account.
Should you misplace your bill you can get a replacement by contacting the Customer Services Centre on 01229 404242.
There is no charge for making payments this way, although payments can take up to 3 working days to show on your Council Tax account.
Please send cheques made payable to Barrow Borough Council. All cheques MUST have the relevant Council Tax account number written on the back.
Please send postal payments to: Barrow Borough Council, Town Hall, Duke Street, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria LA14 2LD
Receipts will only be issued on request.
When paying by post please take into account the time it will take for the payment to reach us and for the cheque to clear.