The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are elected annually by the
Council. They are the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Council.
They have the following roles and functions:
- To uphold and promote the purposes of the Constitution, and to
interpret the Constitution when necessary;
- To preside over meetings of the Council so that its business
can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of
councillors and the interests of the community;
- To ensure that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of
matters of concern to the local community and the place at which
members who do not sit on the Executive Committee or hold committee
chairs are able to hold the members of the Executive Committee and
committee chairmen to account;
- To promote public involvement in the Councils
- To attend such civic and ceremonial functions as the Council
and he/she determines appropriate.